Suspect killed in T&T shootout

PORT OF SPAIN — One suspect was killed, another was injured while another one was arrested following a robbery in Arima which led to a high-speed chase along the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway which culminated in an intense shoot-out between gunmen and the police at Broadway, Port of Spain.

The dead suspect was identified as 23-year-old Michael Headley of Factory Road, Arima.

According to the police shortly before 1 p.m. Headley and two other men robbed a man in Arima of cash, jewellery and a cellular phone following which they escaped in a maroon coloured Nissan Almera heading west along the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway.

The victim made a report to the Arima Police and an all-points-bulletin was sent out commanding officers on patrol to be on the look-out for the car.

Officers from the Northern Division also responded and went in pursuit of the car.

Police said that around 1 p.m. the car was spotted along the highway by officers of the Inter Agency Task Force who began chasing the vehicle.

As the driver attempted to turn right to head into Port of Spain near the lighthouse he lost control of the car and slammed into two cars before ramming a gate leading to a Public Transport Service Corporation car park located opposite the corporation’s headquarters.

Police said that Headley stumbled out the car, raised a chrome pistol and began firing at the police who were closing in on him. While firing, Headley began running into downtown Port of Spain.

The police were forced to duck as bullets whizzed past them. They then fired back at Headley hitting him several times about the body. He collapsed on the ground and was barely breathing by the time officers ran up to him and placed him into a police vehicle and took him to the Port of Spain General Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Another one of the bandits was injured as well and he too was taken to hospital while the third one remained on the scene for almost an hour being questioned by the police.

Contract workers who were carrying out refurbishment works at a museum located along Broadway called reporters to show bullet holes that had been punched into the building they were working on.

“We could have died,” said one of the men. (Express)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *