October 24, 2016 - Colombians arrested and charged Police have arrested and charged tw ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++ October 24, 2016 - 62-year-old St Lucy resident missing Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++

PLAE time

by Leigh-Ann Worrell

Play park manager Leandra Payne overlooks the work to revive the grounds of PLAE at Balls, Christ Church.

Three years after closing its doors, the former Ocean Park complex will become Barbados’ newest place to PLAE – from April 1.

Operations manager of PLAE (Play, Lounge, Advertising and Entertainment), Lionel Eastmond, told Barbados TODAY he acquired the 12-acre facility through a lease last year. After a few delays, he said, he was ready to redevelop the Balls, Christ Church property into a food and entertainment facility.

It will feature a solar-powered golf course, children’s play area, clubhouse, lounge and arena, with other plans to come on stream later.

“We are looking to have an 18-hole golf course and mini clubhouse for the children, as well as Saturday morning vendors markets, Saturday night parties and after-work lime on Fridays by the clubhouse,” he said.

“We will also have an arena suitable for games that require a hard court, host large-scale parties and can double as a carpark… The Splash park will be the last thing to be developed. It will be on 3 000 square feet with water jets, other apparatus and a changing room.”

Eastmond said the redevelopment had cost $300,000 so far, “with a lot more to be spent”. The expenditure had been concentrated on clearing land, debushing, repainting, power-washing and replacing items such as air conditioning units and lights that had been damaged by copper thieves.

He told the newspaper that as a resident of a neighbouring community, he was interested in redeveloping the property, and always “saw the potential in it”.

“I left Barbados and when I returned in 2010 I heard it was closed and it took me from 2010 to 2012 to acquire the land,” he said.

“I am a chef so I wanted to showcase what I learned overseas with food and also running my own place gives me a freedom to try something new.”

Ocean Park ceased operations on August 31 2009, citing high operational costs, especially for electricity. The marine aquarium showcased a variety of fish, living reefs, a mini-golf course and a driving range. In addition, a number of events were held at the Christ Church venue, including the De Big Show calypso tent and other Crop-Over events.

The operations manager believed the new venture would be more financially stable, since it was not incurring the high electricity costs of the fish display.

“We are not bringing back the fish display. Instead, we are focussing on food and beverage and the mini-golf course… [and] if the solar power stands up like I hope it does … we can bring a lesser price for the mini-golf course and it can remain at that price point.”

Corporate Barbados has also taken interest in the renovation, Eastmond stated.

“We have had a number of requests to put up billboards to advertise companies. They have also indicated the areas which they have identified as premium spots so we have decided to sell billboard space to corporate Barbados.”

14 Responses to PLAE time

1. kris kirton April 10, 2013 at 8:15 pm

i am really in need of a job i am a hard working person

2. stephanie Richards April 10, 2013 at 8:45 pm

i am 18 years old and i am applying for a vacancy in your organization as a Wait staff or hostess. i can be contacted at 422-2008 or 252-6022 are at the above address .

3. Juliette holder April 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm

i am 40 years of age. I am looking for a vacancy as a cleaner, golf course/play park attendants if any positions are available. I can be contacted at 236-2351 or 422-9913.

4. kris kirton April 11, 2013 at 12:27 am

i am 20 year old and i am applying for a vacancy as a bar staff,kitchen porter,wait staff .i can b contacted at 844-4205 or 423-3520

• alex mayers April 12, 2013 at 2:15 pm

hi I heard about the add yesterday and was wondering if they are any vacancies available I am willing to work in any available positions within the establishment please . I am leaving this here to find out if the add I saw is true please give me some sort of feedback on it my number is 4383693 or my cell is 8257819 I tried to send an email but it failed to send could anybody tell me what or were to go about applying for any job there .thank you

5. Christine Murray April 12, 2013 at 10:15 am

i am 40 years old and i am looking for a vacancy as a general worker or cleaner . please contact me if there any vacancies at 438-6171

6. alex mayers April 12, 2013 at 11:47 am

hi I heard about the the vacancies got an email address from my friend who got message via blackberry messenger I am interested in any available vacancies I am very hard working person. please call me I have a typed up c.v. available here to submit tried to do that this morning but message failed.if you are willing to consider me for any I repeat any available positions please u can reach me at 4383693 or cell 8257819 or you can email thanks I await any form of feedback . thank you

7. karyn richards April 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Hi, if mr. Eastmond could contact me @ 2524513 or @

8. Kevin Barker April 20, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Hello my name is Kevin and i am very interested in a position at your company. I tried sending my documents to but it says that the inbox is full on your end please leave some contact info so that i may send it

9. Kenisha Connell April 26, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Good day, My name is Kenisha Connell, I am 16 years of age. I would like to apply for a position at your establishment as a waitress. I can be contacted at 228 9658 or 425 7261 or at Thanks.

• Kenisha Connell April 26, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Good day, My name is Kenisha Connell, I am 17 years of age. I would like to apply for a position at your establishment as a waitress. I can be contacted at 228 9658 or 425 7261 or at Please discard previous entry. Thanks you.

10. Deon Ramnarine April 29, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I would like to apply for a career at Plae as a bar staff. Please contact me at 2602404

11. Alicia May 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm

In need of a job, I can be contacted by email or at 417-9912

12. sabrina collins May 28, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I’m 21 years old,I have one child and if there are any vacancies for general worker or kitchen porter,please contact me at 264-1750 or at my email address you