Where is the money coming from?
As a fellow Bajan living in Canada, I have watched our latest election with interest and trepidation. I have read several reports from both sides of the fence and wonder where the money is going to come from to keep some of the promises that I have heard
1. Barbados cannot afford at this time to drop any taxes. We are just holding our heads above water and do not need a new wave of debt to swamp us.
2. I hear all sorts of talk about privitisation, that is always a good idea. But can Barbados afford to go that route at this time? I don’t think so as most people just do not have the funds to pay for any new enterprises.
3. I see Owen Arthur wants to sue Chris Sinckler for some words that were issued in the heat of the moment, I would suggest that he not go down this road as it may lead to his own destruction.
4. This is not a good time to change the Government. A new Government coming in will take at least a year to get up to speed and by then it may be too late to pull us out of the ditch.
5. My advice to all Bajans is to use your head and not be guided by rumours and other gossip that we are well known for. It is after all the silly season.
Please have a peaceful and quiet election. Let all members of all parties show due respect to each other and after the election may the Government keep the will of the people at the forefront and not worry about their own ambitions. After all we put you there and we can take you out in five years.
— Patrick Porter