October 25, 2016 - Falling growth Government’s hopes of a near two ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Woeful Windies ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates  ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Warrens keep Deacons at bay It was a scare but Pan American Lif ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Flow Study help Students preparing for the Grade Si ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Police officer dies suddenly The Royal Barbados Police Force is ... +++ October 25, 2016 - St Peter woman arrested and charged A 26-year-old St Peter woman has be ... +++

The National Organisation of Women has come out in condemnation of recent statements by the Democratic Labour Party Minister of Finance, Christopher Sinckler.

But even while the organisation that represents women has supported Barbados Labour Party Leader Owen Arthur’s similar criticism of the statements, President  in a statement then called on Arthur to reinstate Mia Mottley as his deputy.

marilynricebowenspeaks“The National Organisation of Women views the statement made by Mr. Chris Sinckler regarding Mrs. June Fowler at the Democratic Labour Party’s meeting in Clevedale, Black Rock, as unfortunate. We are heartened by the approach taken by Mr. Arthur as he viewed the statement as an attack on women,” Rice-Bowen stated.

Arthur had read a statement at a BLP meeting at the corner of Harts Gap and Dayrell’s Road, Christ Church on Sunday night, which he said was made by Sinckler at a meeting in Clevedale, criticising Fowler in strong language for her attempts to clarify an issue related to Clico.

Referring to Sinckler’s comments about Fowler, Arthur said he wanted to hear Sir Henry Forde on the issue since “this is not the kind of Barbados that you sought to help create where women could be treated with a position of dignity in this country”.

As the DLP also had female candidates, he indicated he wanted to hear candidate Verla Depeiza, as well as the Prime Minister Freundel Stuart on the issue.

Likewise he also told the church and other organisations “who often take this high moral ground … calling for politicians to behave themselves in public to speak in the strongest possible terms in condemnation of this statement by Chris Sinckler that treats a dignified Barbadian just doing her job in a manner that I believe amounts to the purest form of political sewage that this country has ever had to put up with”.

“This is sicker than sick, this is lower than the gutter and I believe that if the women in Christ Church West, as I know you do, have any self respect, even the Dems who are women in Christ Church West will refuse to vote for the Democratic Labour Party if this stain on the character of Barbados and this ultimate insult against a Barbadian woman is allowed to stand without apology by the Democratic Labour Party.”

NOW, this evening joined the reprimand of Sinckler for the comments made, but took it a bit further, stating: “Against this backdrop we call on Mr. Arthur to, prior to the General Elections on February 21, 2013, reinstate Miss Mottley as deputy leader of the Barbados Labour Party.”

Rice-Bowen stated: “Miss Mottley has very ably demonstrated locally, regionally and internationally her political aptitude. She has therefore proven that she is deserving of the elevation to such a leadership role within her party.

“We view the ousting and subsequent relegation of Miss Mottley as a reversal of the advancement of women. The National Organisation of Women applauds Miss Mottley for her courage and commitment to the advancement of women in the face of all she has endured in these specific and trying circumstances,” she said. (LB)

8 Responses to SHAME!

1. Kay-rani rosita February 13, 2013 at 12:52 am

Talk about grabbing an opportunity.

Owen Arthur should first apologise to Mia Mottley, Cynthia Forde, his former wife (Jamaican) his behaviour towards her have been criticised overseas, and to all women of Barbados.

Who dares to speak? He who is without sin let him speak,
    It seems to me like a case of the kettle calling the pot black.

Get real!

2. Glenda Applewhaite February 13, 2013 at 8:44 am

As we do not know whether Mr. Arthur has apologized to the afore mentioned women let’s leave it at that. Emotions has no place in serious discussions. This is the silly season and things are said to get crowd response. I agree that Mr . Sinckler should apologize for his statements. Our leaders needs to conduct themselves with dignity.

3. DavidB February 13, 2013 at 11:48 am

When was Ms. Mottley the deputy leader of the BLP? How can she be reinstated to a position she did not hold?

4. MatthewA February 13, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Ms. Mottley was never the deputy so I do not think that should be an issue. I do think though that Mr. Sinckler should apologize for his statement

5. Nia Brathwaite February 13, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Ms Kay-rani rosita, two wrongs do not make a right and Chris Sinkler is still wrong no matter what Owen did. Ms. Glenda Applewhaite I agree with you wholeheartedly! I am an 18 year old female and this will be my first time voting. I am appalled that Chris Sinkler could make such comments about Ms. Fowler, refuse to apologise and then say that he has not insulted her. Where are the church leaders? And then he would want my vote! With respect to Mia Mottley, I do not believe that a public apology will have any significance at this stage. The incident occured in 2010 and since Ms. Mottley is a self-respecting lady, I believe that she would have demended an apology from Owen a while ago and if not then, before she contributed to the BLP campaign in such a large way.

6. Brown skin February 13, 2013 at 8:25 pm

June Fowler attacked Sinckler for sometime over CLICO either expressly or implicitly nothing wrong in him defending himself. Owen Arthur launch unwarranted personal attacks on his party leader Mia Mottley which shock the entire country. How Mia survive Owen’s extraordinary nasty broadsides we may never know.

7. Nia Brathwaite February 13, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I’m sure June Fowler never called him “as igrant as a bald pooch cat” or a “jackrabbit” so to say that he was defending himself by calling her these disgraceful names is ludicrous! You can defend yourself in a decent manner. Are you trying to say that to defend yourself you must call another hurtful names?

8. May Green February 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I actually heard Mr Sinckler’s statement, now I am not referring to Mr Sinclker as a DLP or Ms Fowler as a BLP or anything political it was the pure disrepect that actually hurt me as a person. I just wish that people would stop behaving so badly. I know Mr Sinckler knows better than to behave in the manner in which he described Ms Fowler. My mother was from St Thomas and my father from St John and in our house it was always serious discussions as to why us children should make our own decisions it was never name calling, rude remarks sometimes humerous but respectful at all times. I am apealing to us as a people please behave like we have some common sense and respect for ourselves and others. Thank you.