Trouble free campaign
On course and trouble free.
That’s how the Barbados Labour Party’s campaign to be returned to political office has gone so far.
As the Opposition party prepared to officially introduce its 30 candidates to the electorate tomorrow night at Carlisle Carpark, both deputy leader, Dale Marshall and deputy campaign manager, Dr. William Duguid, told the media this morning that they were extremely pleased with how the campaign had gone.
“We have set a number of targets in terms of the people we wanted to reach, in terms of where our candidates should be as far as executing our campaign strategy is concerned and we are able to say that our candidates have indeed met those benchmarks and also the party has met those benchmarks,” Marshall said.
“We have rolled out a series of nightly meetings, which are strategically held in the north of Barbados, in the west which is principally St. Michael and in the south.
“We have fully mobilised our slate of speakers so that all our meetings benefit from significant speeches on each night from the … Leader of the Opposition … Owen Arthur, but also he’s backed up by a very able to team of speakers and we are very happy with the response of the large crowds that have been following our meetings,” he added.
Marshall said having completed the required nomination process on Wednesday, the BLP’s campaign was “now truly into full swing and other elements of the party’s campaign will be seen by the public over the next few weeks. There are a number of strategic meetings that are being planned”.
Duguid said following tomorrow’s candidate introduction the BLP would launch its manifesto next week, with other major meetings planned, including one at Oistins “and then our final meeting on the night before the election”.
“We are extremely happy with how the campaign is moving, we have seen no hiccups, no problems and we continue to take this campaign forward on a daily basis,” Duguid said. (SC)