September 21, 2014 - Kraigg Brathwaite, wily Warrican top Super Cup averages Kraigg Brathwaite, wily Warrican to ... +++ September 21, 2014 - Seven injured in ZR accident Seven injured in ZR accident The dr ... +++ September 21, 2014 - St Michael man charged St Michael man charged A St Michael ... +++ September 21, 2014 - Four wounded in stabbing incidents Four wounded in stabbing incidents ... +++ September 21, 2014 - Defeat for Tridents Defeat for Tridents Experienced sea ... +++ September 20, 2014 - Government moves to strengthen laws for seafarers Government moves to strengthen laws ... +++ September 20, 2014 - Hundreds join clean up effort Hundreds join clean up effort   ... +++ September 20, 2014 - Windies women top Championship table Windies women top Championship tabl ... +++ September 20, 2014 - Fighting child labour Fighting child labour The Freundel ... +++ September 20, 2014 - Don’t rush to legalize marijuana Don’t rush to legalize marijuana ... +++ webdesign

‘FUH REAL’

‘FUH REAL’

Barbadians can expect a “very impressive” and “longer than usual” manifesto from the Barbados Labour Party.

But what they should not look forward to when the document is released soon is promises of special giveaways including duty free concessions and other sweet deals.

Speaking at a Press conference this morning at the BLP’s Roebuck Street headquarters, deputy leader Dale Marshall told the media the document would have “a number of meaningful and realistic propositions”.

“You can expect that we will have a very impressive document. We are excited about it, we have put a lot of work into it,” he said.

“We took advantage of the time that we had in its preparation, we engaged in the widest possible consultation, we have done a number of drafts, and in areas where we felt we didn’t exactly capture our message we took the time to make sure that it is how it should be.

“I am not going to go into the details, but the people of Barbados will be treated to a very impressive document for a manifesto. It will be longer than usual, but the reason for that really is that we feel that as a party in Opposition we need to give Barbadians a clearer vision of where we intend to take this country,” he added.

The St. Joseph candidate added that the manifesto would also be available online and that the BLP campaign team had “planned a very dynamic and interactive manifesto online presence, which we think will appeal to a large number of younger Barbadians who are not only interested in technology, but who really would much rather view a document on screen than to have a manifesto of some size”.

“In terms of the content of it I am not at liberty to tell you now what that will be, but certainly all of our candidates are very excited about what it holds for Barbados. A number of meaningful and realistic propositions will be put forward in the manifesto,” he stated.

blppressconferencedaleThe public will not find us promising duty free cars to policemen and teachers, they will not find us promising hundred per cent mortgages to all civil servants, they will not find us promising to enact legislation in a hundred days.

“The Barbados Labour Party is a mature party and has had the benefit of sustained presence at the helm of this country between 1994 and 2008 and that allows us with the experience that we have to take a more mature approach to politics and to take a more mature approach on what we present to the people of Barbados.”

Marshall said the BLP was “satisfied that the proposals that we have in the manifesto are proposals that stand the test of reasonableness, they will stand the test of time and will certain satisfy the expectations of Barbadians”. (SC)

10 Responses to ‘FUH REAL’

1. Kay-rani rosita February 9, 2013 at 1:29 am

So who wrote it, the people who are set to gain most from privatisation?
    why, A longer manifesto, so the elderly, the illiterate and those who don’t have the time to read all of it will give it a quick glance over and then foolishly vote BLP?

2. Tony Webster February 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm

“@kay-rant”: very thin, cold soup. You haven’t even read it yet! Thanks for telling me I am “foolish”…I’ll remember that very well in nine days time. Have a great day!

3. Kay-rani rosita February 9, 2013 at 8:43 pm

@Tony Webster,
    Are you serious, do I understand you correctly, because you believe that I called you foolish, you will vote for the opposition? That would be a very foolish, petty, and childish reason. But, that is your prerogative.
    For your information, I responded to the

4. Kay-rani rosita February 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm

“longer than usual” part. If the bit about the elderly offended you, I was thinking of a particular group of seniors who are eligible to vote but might have vision and dementia problems so a longer manifesto might not be ideal, (but perhaps someone will be willing and patient to read it to them). I am sorry, if I did not make myself clear. No offence intended. I respect the elderly.

5. Kay-rani rosita February 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm

As for people who don’t have time to read it, that still stands, they are countless people in the world who do not find the time to read, and there are those who never read the important small print.
    You misconstrued my meaning but I hope that is not all it took for you choose how you vote.

6. Kay-rani rosita February 9, 2013 at 11:29 pm

To the bteditor,

I would appreciate knowing why my reply to Tony Webster was not accepted.

7. Nia Brathwaite February 13, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I believe that a longer than usual manifesto would not just give plain old promises like previous manifestos but likely will contain extensive explanations of exactly HOW they plan to achieve these promises. Many of us are fed up with promises because they are often broken. The time has come in Barbadian politics to give the people explanations and to stop treating us as if we are foolish by throwing fanciful promises at us that politicians know cannot be delivered in order to fool us and gain our vote.

8. Nia Brathwaite February 13, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Also, Ms. Kay-rani rosita, I am sure that elderly and illiterate persons have caretakers or children that will be willing to read them the manifesto as you suggested but they can always attend the manifesto launch tomorrow night in order to hear the points that the BLP considers salient so there is really no reason to pick at the fact that the BLP manifesto is long. I am sure anyone who wants to make an informed decision will find out what is in both manifestos and vote based on the content no matter how long they both are because “not finding the time” simply is no excuse when voting for the future leadership of Barbados.

9. Kay-rani rosita February 18, 2013 at 12:43 am

Nia, I see, but opposition parties tend to write manifestos to tickle the voter’s fancy. Because after all they are desperate to be elected or re-elected as it were.
    “I am sure that elderly and illiterate persons have caretakers or children that will be willing to read them the manifesto”
    Perhaps they will all have that help. Well, I am glad that you are sure I hope your assumption is correct.

10. Kay-rani rosita February 18, 2013 at 12:46 am

Tony Webster, you should not have taken it personally, my comments was a sarcastic dig at the BLP.