News Feed

October 24, 2016 - Bra on Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Tudor on the mend Former Democratic Labour Party (DLP ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Colombians arrested and charged Police have arrested and charged tw ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++ October 24, 2016 - 62-year-old St Lucy resident missing Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++

On track for March

The athletic track at the National Stadium should be completed by the end of February or early March.

This disclosure came today from Minister of Sports, Stephen Lashley, after he toured the Waterford, St. Michael facility.

He said based on the work that had been done to date, as well as reports from the National Sports Council and the engineers and weather permitting, the track should be completed soon.

“Given the time frame that we have and the discussions between the National Sports Council and the organisers of our two key events – the Barbados Secondary Schools’ Athletic Championships and the National Primary Schools’ Athletic Championship – the work here will be done in time to allow for those competitions to be held at the National Stadium,” Lashley stated.

C.O. Williams’ Nicholas Dash concurred with the minister, adding that a significant percentage of the work had been completed. He pointed out that a final layer of asphalt had to be laid so MONDO could put down the synthetic surface and he stressed that while that was being done, workmen at C.O. Williams would finish all the associated drainage work.

Lashley said he was extremely pleased with the progress of the work and complimented all the persons involved in the project.

Lashley told the media that a veteran broadcaster from SportsMax Jamaica, contacted him earlier today to provide an update on the stadium and he heard him telling radio listeners that the local championships had been evicted from Kensington Oval and there was no home in Barbados for them now.

“As Minister of Sports I challenged that misinformation; neither championship was evicted from the Oval and, therefore, I challenge SportsMax to get its facts correct… It was totally disingenuous and certainly not in keeping with the high standards of journalism that I am accustomed to, to abruptly terminate what was supposed to be an interview [because I questioned what he had stated previously].”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *