Teenage boy gunned down
PORT OF SPAIN — A 17-year-old boy from Belmont became the country’s latest murder victim after he was shot dead yesterday morning.
His killing and the death of 40-year-old Terry Roget, who was one of eight people to be shot in the Beetham last Thursday night, have pushed the country’s murder toll for the year so far to 24, as compared to 29 for the corresponding period last year.
Police sources said that at around 8:15 a.m., Hannis Harrison, of Quarry Street, Circular Road, was standing at the corner of Augustine Lane and Hermitage Road, Belmont, when residents reported hearing the sound of gunfire.
Upon investigating, police said they found Harrison’s body lying along the side of the road with several gunshot wounds.
He was taken to the Port of Spain General Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short while later.
Officers said they have since classified his killing as gang-related.
In the other incident, Roget died at the Port of Spain hospital on Sunday evening, three days after he was shot.
Roget and seven other people were ambushed and shot while playing dominoes at 24th Street, Beetham Estate on Thursday night. He was shot in the chest and abdomen.
The incident was said to have been a reprisal for a shooting the night before in John John which resulted in five people being injured including an 11-year-old boy.
Of the 24 murders committed so far this year, police have classified more than half as gang-related and recently announced that measures including enforcing the provisions of the anti-gang legislation as one of the measures to crack down against offenders. (Express)