$100m. suit ‘misguided’
NEWTOWN — A $100 million claim filed against the state of Connecticut in the wake of a school shooting that left 20 children and six adults dead two weeks ago is misguided, Connecticut’s attorney general said in a statement on Monday.
Last week, a New Haven-based attorney filed an intention to sue the state on behalf of a six-year-old survivor of the December 14 attack – the second deadliest school shooting in US history.
“Our hearts go out to this family, and to all the children and families affected by the Newtown shootings,” Attorney General George Jepsen said in a statement. “They deserve a thoughtful and deliberate examination of the causes of this tragedy and of the appropriate public policy responses.”
A public policy response by the US Congress and the Connecticut state legislature would be “more appropriate” than legal action, said a spokeswoman for Jepsen.
Connecticut attorney Irv Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr.
The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard “cursing, screaming, and shooting” over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School, according to the claim.
Pinsky’s claim said that the state Board of Education, state Department of Education and state education commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from “foreseeable harm” and had failed to provide a “safe school setting”. (Reuters)