Praying for the nation
Some church leaders in Barbados are planning a major multi-denominational service for Independence Square on Sunday.
A statement issued by the group today said: “Partners in National Transformation invites pastors and their congregations to join us as we appear before God on Sunday, December 30 … to mobilise and strengthen the nation of Barbados through intercessory prayer.
“Today, we are at a very critical juncture in the history of our nation Barbados. There are numerous factors converging nationally that demand our spiritual attention and response as a people of God.
“Most importantly to mention:
1. Our pending national election.
2. The two years of global and local economic downturn.
3. The cursing of our economy as “junk status” by external international agencies.
4. The national, social, and psychological malaise of some of our people.
5. The three hundredth anniversary of the alleged Willie Lynch “curse” of 1712 of fear, distrust, and envy among the majority of our population.
6. The need to reinvent Barbados, repositioning it spiritually, socially, and economically, for the new year.”
Durant and Joseph added: “We believe that God wants us to come before Him as a national church, to pull up, tear down, take apart, and demolish these national constructions and curses, and then to build, plant and co-create an alternative future to the one apparently facing us.”