One dead, 12 injured in crashes

KINGSTON — One man was killed and 12 other people injured in two separate motor vehicle accidents in St. Catherine and St. Andrew yesterday.

An injured Martin Washington (inset) recalls the horror he just experienced. He was a passenger in the Mitsubishi bus that collided with this trailer on Spanish Town Road yesterday.

In the first incident, 39-year-old Floyd Biggs, a resident of Hatfield, Gregory Park, died from injuries he received in a three-way motor vehicle collision that occurred on the outskirts of the Greendale Community in Spanish Town – Jamaica’s old capital.

According to the police, at about 6:10 a.m., Biggs was driving a Hiace bus along the roadway when it collided with a Jamaica Urban Transit Company bus and then with a Mitsubishi motorcar.

Biggs and three of his passengers received serious injuries and were rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The others were admitted.

The St. Catherine North police have since launched an investigation into the matter.

Approximately two hours after that incident, there was another collision involving a Mitsubishi passenger bus and a trailer truck a few miles away on Spanish Town Road, in the vicinity of Riverton Meadows, in St Andrew.

Police said the bus, which was transporting passengers from downtown Kingston en route to Ocho Rios, St. Ann, collided with the trailer as it attempted to make a left turn.

“Approximately 12 people were injured in that incident,” said a policeman on the scene.

“I was in the front of the bus… when all of a sudden I see the trailer just come out of nowhere. All me could a say is ‘Driver, watch the trailer’!” one of the passengers, Errol Robinson, shared.

Another passenger, Leon Allen was injured in the accident.

“All now mi body feel jerk up. I suffered several injuries. I am still shocked, the trailer just came [out suddenly] on the bus,” Allen alleged.

One woman, who was travelling with her two children, described the experience as frightening.

“I was really frightened when I heard and saw what was going on,” she said as she spoke to the driver of an ambulance that arrived on the scene. (Observer)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *