Pollard sounds Big Bash warning
ADELAIDE – Kieron Pollard has vowed to batter Brisbane Heat and the game’s shortest boundaries in Adelaide tonight.
It’s a recipe for mayhem, with a sell-out crowd in serious danger if Pollard’s pyrotechnics take off as he seeks to atone for the hamstring injury that ruled the all-rounder out of last year’s entire Big Bash League campaign.
The $535 million Adelaide Oval redevelopment will cause traffic chaos outside the ground, while Pollard will trigger it inside a condensed arena against a team minus “lost” Heat tearaway Kemar Roach, injured Ryan Harris and unavailable South African spearhead Dale Steyn.
“Hopefully it’s shorter and I can clear a few,” said Pollard, who crashed five sixes against Australia when making an undefeated 54 from 26 balls at Gros Islet in March.
“I’ll try my best, but as they always say, once you hit it over the rope, you still get six.
“I don’t want to hit a 100-metre six and then get caught on the boundary next ball.
“So I will try to equal them out so they will go the same distance and there will be more sixes.”
Much to Pollard’s amusement, West Indies team-mate Roach was still in transit last night having missed his connecting flight to Australia following the West Indies tour of Bangladesh, which concluded on Monday.
“Hopefully he gets here on time. We left him in Bangladesh and he was actually supposed to be here before us,” said Pollard, who featured in the Windies’ World Twenty20 title win in Sri Lanka.
“It is always good to play against your West Indies team-mates. There is always a bit of banter.”
The Strikers struggled without Pollard’s explosive stroke-play and canny seamers last summer after he tore a hamstring in an internal trial on BBL eve.
Having steered the Redbacks to the 2010 Big Bash title, the 25-year-old was gutted at not being able to contribute for the new Adelaide franchise.
“The disappointment last year, coming all the way and not being able to take part in games, is something that has been with me for the entire year so far,” Pollard said.
“Obviously I’m looking to try and make amends. It’s just a matter of me getting in, getting that start and hopefully carry the team to the end.”
Pollard will still have to temper his extravagant ways and stick to coach Darren Berry’s game plan if the Strikers – deprived of Test opener Phil Hughes – lose early wickets.
“It’s just a matter of doing what thing is required at that point in time,” Pollard said.
“I’m just here to do my best as I have always done for the past couple of years.”††