Concern over road fatalities
NASSAU — Police have noted an “alarming” spike in traffic-related deaths in the country.
With just over a month left in the year, the traffic fatality count of 39, stands 11 per cent behind the 44 recorded in 2011, according to statistics.
Authorities fear the end of year count could outpace last year’s figure.
“We know that coming down to the holiday periods we tend to see for whatever reason increases in these events,” said Superintendent Ken Strachan, who heads the Police Traffic Division.
“More importantly what we have seen over the weekend, particularly on Saturday and Sunday during the night, we have found a number of serious accidents occurring in various areas of New Providence, and more recently Abaco.”
Seven people died in traffic accidents in the last 10 days – three on New Providence and four on Abaco – in four separate incidents.
The most recent deaths happened on East Street, south of Gibbs Corner, shortly before midnight on Sunday.
Police said the two deceased – a man and a women – were back seat passengers in a Mitsubishi Lancer, which was being driven by another man.
Police said both the driver and his front seat passenger were in serious condition in hospital.
Those deaths came less than 24 hours after a man, who police identified as Techelet Joseph, 32, a resident of The Mud, Marsh Harbour, was killed in a traffic accident on Forrest Drive, Abaco. (Nassau Guardian)