News Feed

October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Sutherland rubbishes Green Economy Scoping study Member of Parliament for St George ... +++

Global Round-up

Brazil give Mano the boot

BRASILIA – Brazil have sacked head coach

Mano Menezes

as they seek to implement “new methods” ahead of the 2014 World Cup on home soil.

Menezes, 50, replaced Dunga after the 2010 World Cup, guiding Brazil to the last eight of the Copa America in 2011.

That defeat against Paraguay, plus Brazil’s failure to win gold at London 2012, put the coach under pressure.

The decision comes two days after Brazil won the Superclasico de las Americas against Argentina.

Brazil lost the second leg 2-1 in Buenos Aires, but triumphed on spot-kicks in the tie which featured only players who play in the domestic leagues of the two countries.

Brazil Football Federation director Andres Sanchez said president Jose Maria Marin made the change because he “wants new methods and new planning” ahead of the World Cup.


From tennis coach to inmate

PARIS – Former tennis coach Regis de Camaret has been sentenced to eight years in prison for raping young players at his academy in France.

Former tennis coach Regis de Camaret

Frenchman De Camaret, now 70, ran a tennis school in Saint-Tropez in the 1970s and ’80s, and was the coach of former world number three Nathalie Tauziat.

Around 20 of his former pupils accused him rape or sexual abuse between 1977 and 1989, with allegations flooding in after former French number two and world number 35 Isabelle Demongeot revealed the scale of the abuse in a book.

Tauziat acted as a character witness for the defence, denying that any abuse took place, but the court found he had raped two girls, then aged 12 and 13.

Most of the victims were unable to pursue prosecutions because the statute of limitations had run out, but they acted as witnesses in the trial.

De Camaret, who denied the charges but admitted that the atmosphere at his academy “encouraged promiscuity”, has been banned from working in tennis for life.


Referee returns to the field

LONDON – Referee Mark Clattenburg will return to action on Sunday after the Football Association said it would take no action against him.

Clattenburg had been accused by Chelsea of making a racist remark to John Obi Mikel during a game with Manchester United at Stamford Bridge last month. Chelsea are understood to be resisting calls for an unreserved apology to Clattenburg, who has not officiated since the allegation was made.

The Football Association announced it was taking no action and now Clattenburg will be the fourth official when Tottenham take on West Ham at the weekend.

He will then referee the match between Southampton and Norwich on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson claims everyone in the game “apart from Chelsea” is pleased Clattenburg has been cleared of racism allegations.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *