Hoteliers told to take advantage
A leading hotelier yesterday told others in the industry not to let the opportunity that is being provided by the upcoming Hennessy Artistry show pass them by.
General Manager of Divi Southwinds, Alvin Jemmott, said at the launch of the December 1 show, which will headline Jamaica reggae artiste, Junior Gong, that now was the perfect time to get out the packages to entice visitors.
Divi Southwinds will be the official hotel for the entertainers, who will also include Sizzla, Third World and Queen Ifrica, and local talent Buggy Nhakente and Nexcyx; but the general manager said this did not mean his had to be the only property or attraction to benefit.
“Of course there are guests coming into the island for the event and I am pleased to tell my colleagues in tourism that they can start putting their special packages out because we are already showing high occupancies. “So there are opportunities for others in tourism to benefit as well. So don’t be shy, don’t think that all the business is only going to come here at Divi Southwinds; but there are opportunities for others within the tourism sector,” said Jemmott, whose hotel is a sponsor for the third year.
“Event tourism is a huge driver of our efforts here in Barbados and I would just like to once again congratulate the organisers of the concert and give our total support to the event,” he said, adding that events like this could not happen without the hotels playing their part in hosting those that would come in to take part.
Sponsor Hennessy noted that they would also be providing a special treat for patrons in the form of tickets for two to visit the company in France.
Marketing Manager, Geoffrey Bouilly, said they were pleased to be teaming with FAS Entertainment and 7Star Entertainment this year for the fourth Hennessy Artistry show.
He said he was fully expecting the show to be unique, and as part of their package of support, they would be giving a trip to some lucky patron at the show.
Digicel’s Barry O’Brien said it was also the third year they were involved and they too would be giving patrons the opportunity to win $200 off any BlackBerry handset.
Director with FAS Entertainment, Al Gilkes said because of the overwhelming response last year, they were opening gates two hours ahead of the 9 p.m. start, to facilitate the crowd they are already expecting. (LB)