60 years of solid service
Today, hundreds of students, staff members, old scholars and friends of the St. Leonard’s Boys Secondary School went to church to give thanks for 60 years of solid service in the education of Barbadians.
The school, currently led by Principal Joseph King, was founded in 1952 and is now the only dedicated secondary schools for boys left in Barbados, a point that led to visible the support of the Men’s Educational Support Association during the service at the St. Leonard’s Anglican Church.
The students head from officiating ministers Reverend Jeffrey Gibson, rector of St. Leonard’s and Reverend William Dixon, who was deputy headboy of the school in 1954-55, as well as principal King. One of the highlights of the morning service though, was the performance of the internationally recognised 100-voice choir of the school.
During the service, awards were presented to Neville Phillips, who started teaching and the school when it opened in 1952, and left 30 years later as principal and former student and president of the Old Scholars Association and current chairman of the school’s board of management, Ricardo Harrison. (RRM)