July 25, 2014 - Ready to rumble Ready to rumble Barbadians Renaldo ... +++ July 25, 2014 - Bravo, Darren! Bravo, Darren! At 13 for 3 in the f ... +++ July 25, 2014 - Challenge to Arthur Challenge to Arthur Political scien ... +++ July 25, 2014 - Inniss: DLP will not be distracted by resignation Inniss: DLP will not be distracted ... +++ July 25, 2014 - Arthur quits BLP Arthur quits BLP Former Prime Minis ... +++ July 25, 2014 - Arthur fed up Arthur fed up Saying he was fed up ... +++ July 25, 2014 - Junior golfers ready for tourney Junior golfers ready for tourney Ba ... +++ July 25, 2014 - 3,000 strong at noon 3,000 strong at noon The speculatio ... +++ July 25, 2014 - ‘It’s not about me’ ‘It’s not about me’ Three day ... +++ July 25, 2014 - Mascoll seeing red over Moody’s report Mascoll seeing red over Moody’s r ... +++ webdesign

Mother succumbs to injuries

Mother succumbs to injuries

Lynette Stoute

by Kimberley Cummins

Mother of three young children, Lynette Stoute, has succumbed to her injuries.

With her sister, Lisa by her side, Stoute died this afternoon at a hospital in Panama where she was receiving treatment for first degree burns she received over 83 per cent of her body on August 9.

When the Barbados TODAY team visited the close-knit Diamond Valley, St. Philip community this evening, there was a solemn mood engulfing the district.

Her distraught best friend of many years, Roneisha Haynes told this newspaper that the 23-year-old would forever be remembered as a loving person. She said Stoute’s children, Shamya, five; Jaydyn, three and one-year-old Taleisha, were not coping well but were presently with their grandmother in Bushy Park in the same parish.

Haynes said after the former Deighton Griffith student was deemed fit enough to travel they thought that she would have recovered.

“She was fighting infection and when she woke up she couldn’t talk. They talked to her and she was responding and she shook her head, she moved her limbs to let them know that her kidneys were good. They told her where she was and what they had done. She was heavily sedated.”

As tears filled her eyes, she described her friend as very outspoken and a lot of fun. Finally, overcome with emotion, Haynes gave in to her tears and took a moment to regain herself.

Haynes further explained what occurred on August 9, the day of the fateful fire, when Stoute rushed into the burning home believing her children were still inside.

“When she went back in no one knew that the kids were already here — the two big ones were in here and I had the last little girl in my hands. She didn’t know and she kept calling for them but they did not answer. By the time they responded she had gone back in,” she said.

Neighbour Sharon Griffith-Browne also described Stoute as a friendly person, always with a “ready smile”. She said when she received the news of the fire she was in total shock.

“Upwards to the morning of the fire I see her. When I was leaving home for work she was there, she asked me, ‘Wait you gine long and lef me?’ and she was smiling. I told her I would see her the evening and I promised to bring back a book for her, ’cause she used to love to read a book. You believe as I was telling people at work that story today low and behold I gine hear she gone? I still don’t believe it.”

On August 15 she was airlifted to Panama to undergo treatment. kimberleycummins@barbadostoday.bb

9 Responses to Mother succumbs to injuries

1. Elaine Crichlow August 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Sorry to hear that Ms. Lynette Stoute succumbed to her injuries but why on this earth would you send her to Panama.

She should have come to America for Proper treatment. This is where I wished that I had Money to take charge and care of my Bajan People, because I am not impressed by those who make the decisions…

Waiting so long to transfer her and then to Panama was the wrong decision..

2. Theo Mascoll August 28, 2012 at 10:49 pm

My heart goes out to the family of this young and more so her children may they find comfort in the love of family members,
    and my her soul rest in peace.

3. Anita Skeete August 28, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Maybe she didn’t have a VISA Elaine and the US Embassy is not always sympathetic of people, no matter how ill, who need to travel to the US for medical reasons.

4. Kimberley August 29, 2012 at 9:45 am

Please dont cast judgement everyone, To Elaine: I believe the persons in control did the best they could and made their decision accordingly, they wanted the best for her.

To the family of Lynette Stoute, My condolences. I will miss her dearly, and to Shamiya, Jaydyn and Taleisha, as the saying goes ‘it takes a village to raise a child’ they need all the love and care in the world that can be offered.

May she rest in peace.

5. Pat Burrowes-Boucher August 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm

i really did’nt want her 2 die afta saving her kids lives, i did’nt kno her but my heart is very heavy, it seems like it was either her life or d kids , “NOT FEAR” those kids need all the support they can get, i trust who ever hands God places them in will show them the same love they mother did and keep God first in their lives….Lord watch over and protect them with the blood of Jesus and keep them safe, help them 2 understand the love their mother had for them and what she did for them, in the name of Jesus, AMEN

6. Wilfred Haynes September 3, 2012 at 11:33 am

Next time try Florida orCanada.

7. Dani September 4, 2012 at 5:38 pm

@ Wilfred- What an insensitive comment

8. Shai Gold September 15, 2012 at 12:49 am

To those people who made well meaning, but ill informed, comments about Lynette’s care in Panama – it would serve everyone well to know that the level and quality of medical care of trauma and burn injuries is ON-PAR with that of the USA.

As former Vice President for International Medical Services at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, I can categorically state that the only difference between the trauma center in Panama-City and that in Miami, is ….the PRICE.

Lynette received exceptional medical care by highly skilled and compassionate medical staff. To learn more about medical care in Panama visit http://www.InternationalTriage.com

9. Barbara Greaves February 5, 2013 at 11:35 pm

May she rest in peace. I pray that the dad of those children and other family members and friends assist in their spiritual upbringing and education. A fund should be established to help them.