News Feed

October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Match drawn

Kevin Pietersen

Kevin Pietersen

LEEDS – England and South Africa both did their best to get a positive result on the final day at Headingley before the second Test eventually ended in a draw at Headingley.

The combination of rain and a century opening stand between Graeme Smith (52) and Jacques Rudolph (69) seemed to be sending the match to a rather dull conclusion, only for Stuart Broad (5 for 69) to breathe life into the contest.

The seamer claimed four wickets for 12 runs as the Proteas slipped from 120 without loss to 258-9 by the time skipper Smith opted to declare, leaving the hosts needing an unlikely 253 from 39 overs.

England did flirt with having a dart at such a difficult chase, including sending out Kevin Pietersen as an opener, before eventually shutting up shop at 130-4.

Meanwhile Pietersen later cast doubt on his future Test career saying there were “obstacles” which had to be overcome in order for him to continue his international career beyond the third Test against South Africa.

Pietersen scored 149 in the first innings and took three wickets in the tourists’ reply.

However, when asked after the drawn game to give an assurance that he would play beyond the third Test at Lord’s, the 32-year-old said: “No, I can’t give assurances. All will be discussed and we’ll see what happens.

“There are obstacles and I’ll decide what happens at the end of the next Test.”

Pietersen ended his limited-overs career for England when he announced his shock retirement from the shorter formats of international cricket earlier this summer

However, he then revealed he would “love to play for another three or four years in all forms of cricket” and admitted he was in talks with the ECB to reverse his decision to quit.

English selectors left him out of the provisional squad for the imminent Twenty20 World Cup. (Sky sports)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *