News Feed

October 20, 2016 - UPDATE: Yearwood gets bail Kwame Everton Dashawn Yearwood, 17, ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Wanted man surrenders Police  now have in custody 42-yea ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen charged in connection with ‘sex tape’ Police have arrested and formally c ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen’s living arrangements worry magistrate Information from a 17-year-old male ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Young cricketers show their mettle Reveria Cottle struck a well-played ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Look to organic farming – UNDP official A senior official of the United Nat ... +++

Matter of time

People stand on a burnt-out Syrian army tank in Damascus.

ALEPPO — A long-expected Syrian army onslaught to drive rebel forces out of Aleppo is imminent, following a military build-up around the country’s biggest city, a senior United Nations official said.

President Bashar al-Assad’s forces killed more than 80 people in a series of attacks across the country today and late yesterday, opposition sources said, reporting intensified fighting in several cities.

The violence came within hours of former United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan quitting as international peace envoy for Syria and underlined the impotence of mediation efforts in the 17-month-old uprising against Assad.

The fighting has spread to Aleppo from Damascus after a bomb attack on Assad’s security headquarters in the capital on July 18, which killed four of the president’s senior aides and encouraged rebels to step up hostilities.

The Syrian army has reinforced its positions in and around Aleppo over the past two weeks, while conducting daily artillery and aerial bombardments of rebel forces in the city.

“The focus two weeks ago was on Damascus. The focus is now on Aleppo, where there has been a considerable build-up of military means, and where we have reason to believe that the main battle is about to start,” Herve Ladsous, the Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations, said in New York.

As fighting in Syria worsened, Moscow was reported to be sending three large landing ships to a Russian naval maintenance facility at the Syrian port of Tartus in the Mediterranean.

The naval ships, each carrying up to 120 marines, would reach Tartus in the next few days to resupply the base, Russian news agencies quoted a source in the General Staff as saying.

Russia, a close ally of Assad, had earlier said it was preparing to send marines to Syria in case it needed to protect personnel and remove equipment from the Tartus facility.

Russian airline Aeroflot announced two weeks ago that was stopping its flights to and from Damascus from Monday, citing “low demand”. The Foreign Ministry in Moscow has warned Russian citizens not to travel to Syria. (Reuters)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *