News Feed

October 25, 2016 - Vehicle overturns at Warrens Police say no injuries were reporte ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Digital direction Send and receive money digitally, e ... +++ October 25, 2016 - GG winding down school visits In a matter of weeks, once all goes ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Husbands, Walcott brilliant in Canada TORONTO, Canada – Veteran Bar ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Many positives on Windies A tour DAMBULLA, Sri Lanka – Head co ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Dismissal of iMart cashier raises eyebrows The Labour Department is said to be ... +++

Taking no chances

Jeremy Hunt.

LONDON — More than 1,000 troops who had been on standby to bolster security at the Olympic Games have been deployed.

Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt said the 1,200 troops were to be used because ministers were clear that “we don’t want to leave anything to chance”.

Earlier this month 3,500 personnel were drafted in after security provider G4S admitted it was short of staff.

The new deployment decision was taken at a meeting of the cabinet’s Olympics committee, chaired by David Cameron.

It is the latest step to strengthen security at the Games after G4S said it could not deliver enough guards.

Hunt said the latest move was not because G4S’s performance had deteriorated – he said it had actually improved.

“With three days to go until the opening ceremony, with an incredibly busy weekend, we don’t want to leave anything to chance and we just decided that this is the right measure to take because for the public the most important thing is a safe and secure Games,” he said.

“It’s better to have those troops on the ground so that, were they to be needed, they can swing into action immediately.”

Paul Deighton – chief executive of Olympic organisers Locog – said G4S had just under 6,000 personnel deployed on the Games to date. (BBC)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *