News Feed

October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Remembering David Thompson Today marks the sixth anniversary o ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Today’s weather The Barbados Meteorological office ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++

Full steam ahead

The wheels of the winner.

Preparations for the MQI/98.1 The One Soca Royale are on stream.

Despite the fact that some may say the show was already at an amazingly high standard, said producer of the event, Adisa Andwele, he promised the July 29 show would be “the biggest musical production in the Caribbean from a technical stand point”.

He was this morning addressing title sponsors and journalists at the media launch for the show at the McEnearney Quality Inc. complex in Wildey. Andwele said one of the new measures put in place by the National Cultural Foundation to ensure that the high standards were maintained and surpassed was to have both a technical and grand rehearsal before the big day.

“For the first time the artist will be on the stage before Sunday, that grand rehearsal on Friday will be a full rehearsal of the show and it will be closed off – that is to raise the level of production in Barbados. At major international shows you just don’t come to do a show and everybody turn up on the night, everything is rehearsed, everything is planned. Everything will be put in place so that come Sunday we will have no issues from a production stand point.

“Let me credit finalists over the years and I can tell you, this year they are going all out to make this production even bigger than last year. This week the band has been rehearsing, they have put situations in place; we have to improve on the level of rehearsals.

“The band has been tweaking the scores, the artists have been tweaking the music for when rehearsals start fully on Monday…, and as a result the level of performances will go to another level,” he said.

Over the years the event has grown significantly, explained Marketing Officer at the NCF, Sherwin Cumberbatch, recalling it started with in-house venues, later it was revamped and taken to the East Coast and for the past three years its home has been Bushy Park.

He thanked the sponsors for their support, which he described as critical to the success of the event.

“As much as we are the producers of the Crop-Over events, the NCF cannot offer such a high quality fresh product to patrons without your support. This kind of exposure, whether regionally or within the Diaspora is ultimately what we at the NCF would like to strengthen as we also seek to develop our burgeoning cultural industry.

“The CBC’s coverage of the event will be instrumental in building the Crop-Over brand overseas. In the case of our partnership with the MQI, I think that their contribution to the festival is obvious, with reference to Kia — ‘Cars of the Monarchs’. However, this contribution goes far beyond the obvious,” he said. (KC)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *