News Feed

October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Christmas Wonderland is back After a 12-year break, Simpson Moto ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Husbands wins St James South nomination Sandra Husbands has been elected th ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Helping Haiti The Help Haiti Today Radiothon, has ... +++ October 22, 2016 - St James man nursing stab wounds One woman is assisting police with ... +++

Soldiers detained for businessman’s murder

KINGSTON — The Clarke family has expressed satisfaction with yesterday’s ruling by the director of public prosecutions that murder charges be brought against three soldiers for the 2010 shooting of their loved one, Keith Clarke, during the hunt for former Tivoli Gardens don Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke.

“We the family are happy with the development that has taken place. The process has been long but the state at which we have reached is encouraging,” Claude Clarke, Keith’s brother, told the Jamaica Observer.

“We are encouraged also by the fact that the director of public prosecutions will be taking the case directly to the Home Circuit Court rather than go through a preliminary enquiry, which would have caused further delays. We are hopeful that in the final analysis justice will be served,” added Clarke, a former Government minister.

Clarke said the family is “happy that the matter will be given priority”.

DPP Paula Llewellyn, QC, ruled yesterday that Jamaica Defence Force lance corporals Greg Tingling and Odel Buckley and Private Arnold Henry be charged with the shooting death of the accountant at his Kirkland Heights, St. Andrew home in May 2010. The men were members of a joint police/military team that was searching for Coke, who was held the following month along the Mandela Highway in St Catherine and extradited to the US.

Clarke’s killing drew condemnation across the island and triggered calls for those responsible to be held accountable.

Two-year wait

Yesterday’s ruling comes two months after the Independent Commission of Investigations on May 11 submitted the files from its investigation into the killing to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions for a ruling. A two-year wait for an outstanding ballistic report had been delaying INDECOM’s submission of the files to the ODPP.

Police Commissioner Owen Ellington said in a release yesterday that arrangements were being made with the JDF to have the men charged and brought before the court.

The DPP has said that preliminary hearings in the Resident Magistrate’s Court will be bypassed and that the matter will be taken straight to the Home Circuit Court where the men will eventually be tried. (Observer)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *